The Matlacha/Pine Island Fire District and the Lee County Sheriff’s Office
is currently issuing HURRICANE HANGTAGS to Matlacha-Pine Island residents,
property owners, and business owners for their essential personnel. The following
are some guidelines to the hurricane hangtag program:
• In order to make re-entry easier after an event, rear view mirror color coded hangtags are being issued according to a designated Commercial and Residential district zone. These hangtags have valuable information for both hurricane preparedness and island re-entry on the reverse side. It is suggested that people keep these in their vehicle glove box (when not in use) for easy access.
• Property owners and those with commercial interests should obtain hurricane hangtags prior to a hurricane warning being issued. Commercial interests must have a valid occupational license prior to application for hurricane hangtags. Additionally, the new hurricane hangtag program includes a system of four zones. These zones will allow for phased re-entry, if warranted.
• Driver’s License with a Matlacha-Pine Island address may still be used; however a hurricane hangtag will expedite your return. Persons with a driver’s license with a Matlacha-Pine Island mailing address are strongly urged to also obtain a hurricane hangtag.
• Applications are available here for both residential hurricane hangtags
and commercial/business hurricane hangtags and are also available from the
Matlacha/Pine Island Fire Control District Station 1, 5700 Pine Island,
Bokeelia, FL 33922, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Please return completed applications to the
above address. If you are requesting more than 2 hangtags, we will need a copy
of the driver's license and completed applications for each additional Hangtag.
• Due to the number of tags issued and the lack of any storm threats, there is not a renewal program at this time. If we do start a renewal process, it will be announced. As for now, if you have a tag, it is still good and you do not have to do anything.
If you are leaving for the summer months or cannot come the Department: download, print, and fill out the residential hurricane hangtag application here and send a self addressed, stamped #10 (legal size) envelope to the above Department address. You will have to include a photo copy of your driver's license. If your Pine Island physical address is not on your driver's license, also include proof of residency or ownership (i.e. copy of tax bill, deed, rental agreement, utility bill, etc.). You shall then receive your hurricane hangtag(s) in the mail as soon as we can process your request.
** IMPORTANT: We will not be able to issue hang tags once a hurricane warning has been issued. We will not have the personnel or resources available to do so.
For questions regarding hurricane hangtags, emergency preparedness, and evacuation,
please contact the Matlacha/Pine Island Fire Control District at (239) 283-0030.
For a list of current public evacuation shelters you can go here.